Do you get short of breath? Have you been diagnosed with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)? Have you recently been admitted to hospital because of an exacerbation of a respiratory disease? Pulmonary rehabilitation is integral to the management of people with chronic respiratory diseases. It is especially important for those with persistent symptoms or decreased ability to perform everyday tasks. Considering the long term nature of respiratory disease, pulmonary rehabilitation is often delivered as a program over an 8-12 week period. At Active Rehab our Pulmonary Rehabilitation Programs are offered as a one-on-one program, or in a group setting.
It has been well documented that cardiorespiratory diseases affect not only the heart and lungs directly, but can impact widely on the musculoskeletal, sensory and psychosocial systems. Therefore, Pulmonary Rehabilitation Programs aim to reduce symptoms, decrease disability, increase participation in physical and social activities and improve overall quality of life. These aims are achieved through:
- Education: of the patient and family
- Individualised Exercise Training: to increase endurance and overall health
- Breathing Control and Shortness of Breath Techniques
- Social / Behavioural Input: Opportunity for social interaction and behavioural intervention
- Regular Re-assessment: through evidence-based outcome measures
Your rehabilitation will be tailored to your unique needs and other members of the multidisciplinary team, such as Pharmacists, Psychologists and Dieticians, will be involved as required.